Frequently Asked Questions

Before you apply please take a look at our comprehensive FAQ sections below to ensure you have answers to any questions you may have before starting an application with us.

Questions about study programmes

I already have a degree, do I need another one?

Not necessarily, however you may find a degree in Biblical and Intercultural studies of use to you before going into missionary work. If this is your second degree, consider taking the two-year option, depending on your past experience and Biblical knowledge. You may also decide that a Certificate or a Diploma is better suited to your situation if you are more interested in the subject and the training than the end qualification.

If I am eligible to enter 2 year BA (Hons) degree programme, what is the importance of Level 4 (the first year of the 3 year BA (Hons) degree programme)?

Level 4 is our foundational training programme. It is designed to provide the most essential elements of cross-cultural training and is most applicable for anyone who do not have much cross-cultural  mission experience. Level 4 programme is also strongly recommended for those who wish to enhance their personal growth, spiritual formation and interpersonal skills. If you enter at Level 5 we will assume that you already understand and have assimilated most of the lessons of Level 4.




Why might I choose an OU-validated programme?

All Nations Christian College is approved and accredited by the Open University as an appropriate organisation to offer higher education programmes leading to Open University validated awards.

Earning one of these OU awards enables successful students to transfer the credits earned to another institution when considering further study.

Students requiring a Student visa or a student loan must take a validated programme.

Why do you offer OU-validated and ANCC undergraduate programmes?

We recognise that not everyone who studies at All Nations needs a validated qualification. Students who already hold a higher education certificate, for example, come just for the training. Married couples with children often feel it is less pressurised if one of them takes the non-validated option, since grading in the second year is pass/fail.

I can only afford one year of study, what can I do?

Depending on your experience, education and requirement for a validated award you could study the certificate, level 5, level 6 or level 7 as a stand-alone year.

You could also consider spreading your studies out over a few years or returning when you have raised the funds to complete your studies (providing you complete within the Open University time frame).

I am applying for the one-year Certificate course but I might decide to stay on for the Diploma, is it easy to change my course?

Yes. Providing that you have satisfied the academic requirements for the Certificate and have no outstanding debts with the college, your transition to the next level is usually very straightforward. Instead of receiving a Certificate you will progress to the next level and complete the Diploma just as if you had applied for it in the first place.

Can I study part-time or via distance learning?

Some short courses in the En Route programme can be accessed online. Postgraduate study is accessible via remote access (RAL) where classroom and remote learners learn alongside each other and also via residential delivery. It is also possible to spread the postgraduate programme over one, two or three years. The Undergraduate Programme is accessible by remote access (RAL) or residentially.  It is possible to space your study over several years. This is done by studying for anything from one term to one year and taking a study break before resuming your studies later.

How much cross-cultural experience do I need to take an undergraduate course?

Whilst cross-cultural experience is preferable, it is not essential. However, applicants with no cross-cultural experience should definitely consider starting their studies at level 4 (Certificate level).

For a postgraduate course, four years is the minimum period of cross-cultural experience required.

How much theological training do I need?

Only undergraduate applicants wishing to take the 2-year BA programme must have 120 CAT points in a partially related subject.

For the postgraduate programme, some formal biblical/theological training is expected and the MA bridging modules are recommended to those who require more biblical/theological training if necessary.

I am still unsure which course is best for me.

Our website is a great source of information about our courses but if you still have questions our admissions team would be happy to answer them. They are also able to provide you with a quick guide to how to navigate the website.

We hold several Open Days throughout the year. These are great opportunities to find out more about All Nations and the courses that we offer. If the dates are not suitable for you then we would be happy to arrange a day for you to visit us, meet students (in term-time only), attend a lecture (in term-time only), chat with a tutor to discuss which course might be right for you, and enjoy lunch.


Can I choose which church to attend whilst I study at All Nations?

Students may express a preference, but we expect you to gain as much cross-cultural experience as possible during your course, and this includes Christian cross-cultural experience. Churches are therefore allocated to undergraduate students with this expectation in mind.

You ask for an employee’s reference, but I haven’t been employed for several years, what should I do?

Please contact the admissions team. If it is not possible for you to get a reference from an employer we would normally ask you to get a second reference from another Christian friend who knows you well in a different capacity. If you have recently done voluntary work your supervisor could also be a suitable referee.

You ask for a minister’s reference, but I have not been at my current church very long and the minister does not know me very well. What should I do?

Please contact the admissions team. If it is not possible for you to get a reference from your minister we would normally ask you to get a second reference from another Christian leader who knows you well.

What insurances do I need to put in place before I come?

The European Health Insurance card is only valid for use until October 2021. Undergraduate and Postgraduate students will need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge which will cover you for regular and emergency treatment with a doctor/a hospital. You may wish to consider taking out  insurance cover to cover other emergencies, which is also recommended to those coming to study for less than six months who will not otherwise have access to free medical care..

Can I work whilst I study?

All Nations discourages students from attempting to take paid work during term-time because of the required time commitment to study, both in lectures and private study.

During vacation periods it may be possible to get paid work at All Nations by helping with housekeeping or kitchen tasks. However, you will need to be eligible for work in the UK and have a National Insurance number. Please note that work at All Nations is not guaranteed.

Student visa students who wish to work or volunteer must comply with the terms of their visa.

When do the Certificate, Diploma and BA Courses start?

The courses start mid September and the academic year finishes at the end of June/beginning of July. It is also possible to start the second and third year of the BA programme in another term, unless you need to do the Foundation course which takes place in Term 1.

Do I need my own computer/laptop/tablet?

Yes, but if this is problematic, please discuss this with the admissions team.

I come from an English speaking country; why do I need to pass an academic IELTS English proficiency test?

A good academic level of English is needed so that you are able to make the most of your studies with us.

For overseas students, applicants who have been educated in English must come from a country which is on the UKVI list of approved English-speaking countries to gain exemption from taking this test. Exemption is also available to people who have studied in English to at least degree level in a UKVI-recognised country. Otherwise you are likely to have to pass an English Language test. See our visa page for more information or ask the admissions team.

Can you guarantee that I can have single room accommodation?

Accommodation is not guaranteed. Where non-sharing single room accommodation is scarce, students over 35 years of age are given priority.

Can I live in College with my non-studying spouse?

Priority is always given to couples where both are studying on full-time courses. Where accommodation is available, spouses who are not studying full-time will have to pay full accommodation and food costs and sign up for at least one module, either for audit or credit. They will need to pay the student body fee and will be considered to be students and so will need to take part in chores and maintenance.

What sort of couples’ accommodation is available?

Couples to whom accommodation on site is allocated usually stay on the ‘Wainery’, a corridor with several large double bedrooms and shared bathroom and kitchen facilities. For more details click here.

I will not be able to travel home in the holidays, so what do I do?

We appreciate that overseas students may not be able to afford the cost of long-distance flights during every vacation. It might be possible to work at All Nations, assisting with housekeeping or in the kitchen to earn board and lodging whilst you are staying. The student committee organise a ‘room availability’ list for the holidays for those staff and/or students who have spare rooms, and students can arrange to stay with them.

Do I need a visa as an International students studying for 6 months or less?

For international students studying for 6 months or less, please click here (and follow the instructions and answer the questions) to check whether you need to apply for a short-term study visa.  If the answer states that you require a "Letter of Acceptance" (either as part of your visa application, or to present at the UK Border Control) please contact your course Training Administrator as soon as possible to arrange for a letter to be sent to you.

Given the changes to UKVI visa regulations due to COVID and BREXIT, please click here and follow the links for the most up-to-date information.

For more information on visas, please click here. 

Do EU students need a visa if I start my studies (6 months +) on/after 1 January 2021.

After 31st December 2020, students will need to have either a settlement or pre-settlement status, or have a visa to live and study in the UK. More information can be found here.

Given the changes to UKVI visa regulations due to COVID and BREXIT, please click here and follow the links for the most up-to-date information.

For more information on visas, please click here. 

Can I bring my family with me to stay at All Nations if we all need a visa?

All Nations can only assist with a visa for a prospective student. All Nations is not licensed to sponsor a non-studying spouse or dependants.

How do I apply for a Student Visa (6 months+ study)?

You may not apply for your visa until All Nations has issued you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). This document is the college's confirmation to the visa office that you have a genuine place with us and that we are satisfied that you have the correct documentation.

What does the average All Nations student look like?

All Nations is multicultural. Students come from all over the world. On average there are around 25 nationalities represented for every 100 students. The average age is about 27, the male/female ratio varies but tends to be approximately 40/60, and there are families, married couples and single students who attend.

Students come with a range of life experience, some students have been out on the ‘mission field’ for years, others are just starting. Students also come from a range of professional backgrounds.

To find out more about our students and their All Nations testimonies click here.


What Postgraduate opportunities are available?

Depending on the time you can devote to study, either a PG Certificate, Diploma or Masters level qualification is available. You can select from 6 - soon to be 7 -  different award options.

If you have already completed postgraduate study you may wish to use our library for ongoing research in your area of specialism. You can come to the College for private study and research which you may wish to consider during your sabbatical or time off. Or you can partake in our Advanced Short Courses which run at post graduate level.

Finance FAQs

Before you apply for any of undergraduate or postgraduate courses, please take look at our comprehensive FAQ sections below to ensure you have answers to any questions you may have before starting an application with us.

How much money do I need to study at All Nations?

All Nations requires students to have funds for at least one-third of the first year of study before commencing. If you foresee a problem raising money, you might consider studying for a year at a time and raising money in-between. Please do not be deterred by financial concerns. If you have questions, please speak with us.

All Nations fees are only part of the overall cost of attending, and you should consider the cost of books, travel, entertainment etc. when planning. Download this budget planner to help you work out the overall cost of being a student. Please remember that if you are intending to be resident at All Nations you will be expected to find your own accommodation during vacations.

When do I pay my fees?

At the start of your programme of study, undergraduate and postgraduate students are given a statement of monies charged to your account for the whole year. A new statement will be issued at regular intervals unless your account balance is nil. Shorter courses are invoiced at or before the start of the course.

We prefer payment by direct bank transfer, or by using our website: Make a Payment, otherwise, cheques should be made payable to "All Nations Christian College Ltd".

Can I pay in advance of the course?

It is possible to pay your course fees in advance. You can arrange to do this through speaking with our finance team.

How do I raise my own funds?

There are several good books on how to raise funds for personal support. Try 'Friend Raising' by Betty Barnett (ISBN 1576582833) and 'People Raising' by William Dillon (ISBN 0802464475 and see

See also "Funding the Family Business", a handbook for raising personal support written by Myles Wilson. A discount is offered for UK Bible college students, follow the links from

For practical tips on raising support click here.



Can the UK Government help me with finances?

If you wish to find out if you are eligible for a British Student Loan, you will find the eligibility criteria and application process very clearly set out at: 

For students to be eligible for SLC funding, they must be studying a designated course. Undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at this institution are designated each year by the Office for Students. Undergraduate and postgraduate programmes have been awarded designation for student loans. Please visit:


As a European citizen, do I qualify for financial assistance?

Please go to and follow the links to find out whether you are eligible, and how you can go about receiving financial assistance whilst studying in the UK.

Will my non-EU government support my study at All Nations?

Possibly. All Nations is offering fully accredited study programmes through the Open University and you may qualify for student loans from your home country to assist in these studies. It is worth getting in touch with your government department for education or student loan organisation to find out what opportunities are available.

Are there bursaries available at All Nations?

If you wish to apply for a bursary to contribute towards your fees please contact us. We are only able to consider you for a bursary after you have completed the application process and have been offered a place. Amounts granted are normally up to £2000. Successful applicants will:

- be entering into strategic cross-cultural ministry after leaving All Nations.

- be unable to raise the full fees, but usually having raised most of the support they require.

Please note that even if you satisfy the above criteria, we cannot guarantee an award due to limited funds.

Bursaries are granted for a maximum of one year only, but returning students may apply for subsequent years. All Nations is unable to guarantee that bursary applications from returning students will be granted in subsequent years.

To download our bursary criteria click here.


What happens if I withdraw from my course part-way through?

If students withdraw they will normally be required to pay the full fees for the term in which notice is given. If notice is given during the Christmas or Easter holidays, the fees for the following term will be required. Any waiver of these fees (e.g. due to illness) is at the discretion of All Nations. Student visa students who withdraw from their programme of study will have their visa revoked.

Can I work for All Nations to help pay my way?

During vacation periods it may be possible to get paid work at the College by helping with housekeeping or kitchen tasks. However you will need to be eligible for work in the U.K and have a National Insurance Number. Please note that work at the College out of term time is not guaranteed. There are no opportunities to work during term-time and the College discourages students from attempting to take paid work during teaching periods because of the required time commitment to study.

Is there any financial help available specifically for students with disabilities or other needs?

The UK Government offers tailored help for these circumstances. Useful resources can be found here:

Funding for students with disabilities and other needs

Help if you're a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability

Moving to All Nations with a Family

Full-time study away from home puts a lot of strain on a family and All Nations would prefer spouses and dependent children join you rather than be left behind. 

How do I find a house to rent?

Look at directories such as, and for local estate agents and house rental information. All Nations also has contacts regarding a number of properties in the area, which you may be able to rent. If you are interested in finding out what All Nations has available, contact us at

What about council tax?

Full-time students are exempt from paying council tax. However, if your spouse is not a student then they will be eligible to pay. If your spouse is the only adult (aged 18+) in the house then they are eligible for a single occupancy discount of 25% of the full rate. Overseas spouses who do not study and are prevented from work or claiming benefits under the terms of your visa are fully exempt from council tax. For further details on how much council tax might cost, please contact the East Hertfordshire District Council: (assuming you rent in this area).

What schools are there local to the college?

Postgraduate students are the only families who can enrol their students in local schools. They should visit the Hertfordshire education website for information about enrolling children in a local school:

Post Brexit, it is not possible for overseas families on a Visitor visa to enrol their children in a local school. However schools may be willing to have your children as visitors for the period of their stay in the UK.

Where can I take my pre-school children (under 5s)?

Find out about nursery provision available in the local area by clicking here.


Latest News

  • Cutting edge training in ministry and mission

    Read More
  • Postgraduate programme results 2022

    Read More
  • Marking 30 years of partnership

    Read More
  • 'Exemplary standards' during a challenging year

    Read More
  • Engaging Islam Today

    3rd December 2023
  • Advanced Short Courses 2024

    8th January 2024
  • Multicultural Worship Day

    17th February 2024

Hear about our news, activities and appeals by email

New fieldset
I have read the College Website Privacy Notice and College Supporters and Alumni Privacy Notice and give consent for my details to be used to receive All Nations Mailings.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.