Frequently Asked Questions

Before you apply please take a look at our comprehensive FAQ sections below to ensure you have answers to any questions you may have before starting an application with us.

Questions about study programmes

I already have a degree, do I need another one?

Not necessarily, however you may find a degree in Biblical and Intercultural studies of use to you before going into missionary work. If this is your second degree, consider taking the two-year option. You may decide that a Certificate or a Diploma is better suited to your situation if you are more interested in the subject and the training than the end qualification.

If I am eligible to enter 2 year BA (Hons) degree programme, what is the importance of Level 4 (the first year of the 3 year BA (Hons) degree programme)?

Level 4 is our foundational training programme. It is designed to provide the most essential elements of cross-cultural training and is most applicable for anyone who has less than 2 years of cross cultural experience.  If you enter at Level 5 we will assume that you already understand and have assimilated most of the lessons of Level 4.

I can only afford one year of study, what can I do?

Depending on your experience, education and requirement for a validated award you could study the certificate, level 5 or level 6 as a standalone year.
You could also consider spreading your studies out over a few years, returning when you have raised the funds to complete your studies (providing you complete within the Open University time frame).

I am applying for the one year Certificate course but I might decide to stay on for the Diploma, is it easy to change my course?

Yes. Providing that you have satisfied the academic requirements for the Certificate and have no outstanding debts with the college your transition to the next level is usually very straightforward. Instead of receiving a Certificate you will progress to the next level and complete the Diploma just as if you had applied for it in the first place.

Can I study part-time or via distance learning?

All Nations has been developing a range of online study options for those who can't attend our residential courses. We offer options from Short Courses to Postgraduate Study. It is not currently possible to deliver our Undergraduate Programme online or part-time, however the Postgraduate course is available to study part-time.

How much cross-cultural experience do I need to take an undergraduate course?

Whilst cross-cultural experience is preferable it is not essential. However applicants with no cross-cultural experience should definitely consider starting their studies at Level 4 (Certificate level).

How much theological training do I need?

Only applicants wishing to take the 2 year BA programme must have 120 CAT points in a partially related subject.

I am still unsure which course is best for me.

Our website and prospectus are a great source of information about our courses but if you still have questions our admissions would be happy to answer them.
We hold 2 Enquirers Days each term (LINK), which are a great opportunity to find out more about college and the courses that we offer. If the dates aren’t suitable for you then we would be happy to arrange a day for you to visit us, meet students (term time only), listen to a lecture (term time only), chat with a tutor to discuss which course might be right for you and enjoy lunch in Maple hall.

Can I choose which church to attend whilst I study at All Nations?

Students may express a preference, but we wish you to gain as much cross cultural experience as possible during your course and this includes Christian cross cultural experience. Churches are therefore allocated with this in mind.

You ask for an employee’s reference, but I haven’t been employed for several years, what should I do?

Please contact the BA admissions team. If it is not possible for you to get a reference from an employer we would normally ask you to get a second reference from another Christian friend who knows you well in a different capacity or if you have recently done voluntary work your supervisor could be a suitable referee.

You ask for a minister’s reference, but I have not been at my current church very long and the minister does not know me very well. What should I do?

Please contact the BA admissions team. If it is not possible for you to get a reference from your minister we would normally ask you to get a second reference from another Christian leader who knows you well.

What insurances do I need to put in place before I come?

European students should obtain a European Health Insurance card.

Can I work whilst I study?

The College discourages students from attempting to take paid work during term-time because of the required time commitment to study, both in lectures and private study.
During vacation periods it may be possible to get paid work at the College by helping with housekeeping or kitchen tasks. However you will need to be eligible for work in the U.K. and have a National Insurance Number. Please note that work at the College is not guaranteed.
Tier 4 visa students do not usually have the right to work under the terms of their visa.

When do the Certificate, Diploma and BA Courses start?

The courses start mid September and the academic year finishes at the end of June/beginning of July.

Do I need my own computer/laptop/tablet?

There are only limited IT facilities available for students to use in the library if you do not have your own computer. Most students bring their own equipment.

I come from an English speaking country; why do I need to pass an academic IELTS English proficiency test?

A good academic level of English is needed so that you are able to make the most of your studies with us.
For visa students, applicants who have been educated in English must come from a country which is on the UKVI list of approved English speaking countries to gain exemption from taking this test. Exemption is also available to those students who have studied to at least degree level in a UKVI recognised country. Otherwise an academic IELTS taken at an approved SELT centre is obligatory.

Can you guarantee that I can have single room accommodation?

The majority of single students are able to have single accommodation but this is not guaranteed. Single students over 35 years of age are given priority.

Can I live in College with my non-studying spouse?

Priority is always given to couples where both are studying on full time courses. Where accommodation is available, spouses who are not studying full time will have to pay full accommodation & food costs and sign up for at least one module, either for audit or credit. They will need to pay the student body fee and will be considered to be a student and take part in chores & maintenance.

What sort of couples’ accommodation is available?

Couples stay on the ‘Wainery’, a corridor with several large double bedrooms, shared bathroom and kitchen facilities. For more detials click here.

I will not be able to travel home in the holidays, so what do I do?

We appreciate that overseas students may not be able to afford the cost of long distance flights during every vacation. It might be possible to work at the college assisting with housekeeping or in the kitchen to earn board and lodging whilst you are staying. The student committee organise a ‘room availability’ list for the holidays for those staff and/or students who have spare rooms and students can arrange to stay with them.

Can I bring my family with me to stay at All Nations if we all need a visa?

If you are studying on the BA programme, we can only assist with a visa for the prospective student, we cannot sponsor any dependents. Non studying family members cannot have a Tier 4 visa (for example where both parents are studying their children under 16 will not be eligible for a visa).

What does the average All Nations student look like?

All Nations Christian college is multicultural. Students come from all over the world. On average there are around 26 nationalities represented out of 100 students. The average age is 27, the male/female ratio is almost 40/60 and there are families, married couples and single students who attend.
To find out more about our students and their All Nations testimonies click here.

How do I Apply for a Visa?

Obtaining a visa is the responsibility of the student. Visas can only be applied for when you have a place at All Nations and the college has issued your CAS.

For more information on visas please click here.

What Postgraduate opportunities are available?

Depending on the time you can devote to study, either a PG Certificate, Diploma or Masters level qualification is available.

If you have already completed postgraduate study you may wish to use our library for ongoing research in your area of specialism. You can come to the College for private study and research which you may wish to consider during your sabbatical or time off. Or you can partake in our Advanced Short Courses which run at post graduate level.

Finance FAQs

Before you apply for any of undergraduate or postgraduate courses, please take look at our comprehensive FAQ sections below to ensure you have answers to any questions you may have before starting an application with us.

How much money do I need to study at All Nations?

All Nations require that all students coming to study have funds for at least one-third of the first year of study before commencing their study. If you see a problem with raising this amount of money in one go, you might consider studying for a year at a time and raising the money in-between. Please do not be put off by financial concerns. If you have questions or concerns, please speak with us.
The College fees are only part of the overall cost of attending All Nations and you should consider the cost of books, travel, entertainment etc. when planning your costs. Use this budget planner to help you work out the overall cost of being a student. Remember, that if you are intending to be resident in the College, you will be expected to find your own accommodation during vacations.

When do I pay my fees?

Fees are invoiced annually and are due by Monday of week 3 of the first term. We prefer payment by direct bank transfer, or by using our website: Make a Payment, otherwise, cheques should be made payable to "All Nations Christian College".

Can I pay in advance of the course?

It is possible to pay your course fees in advance. You can arrange to do this through speaking with our finance team.

How do I raise my own funds?

There are several good books on how to raise funds for personal support. Take a look at 'Friend Raising' by Betty Barnett from YWAM (ISBN: 1576582833) & 'People Raising' by William Dillon from the Moody Institute (ISBN: 0802464475 and see

See also "Funding the Family Business", a handbook for raising personal support written by Myles Wilson. A discount is offered for UK Bible College students, follow the links from

For practical tips on raising support click here.

Can the British Government help me with finances?

If you wish to find out if you are eligible for a British Student Loan, you will find the eligibility criteria and application process very clearly set out on the following website: 

For students to be eligible for SLC funding, they must be studying a designated course. Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses at this institution are designated each year by the Department for Education. Undergraduate courses for 2018-19 have been awarded designation for student loans. We are currently in the process of applying for Postgraduate courses to be designated for the 2018-19 academic year. We expect this process to be completed by September 2018. Visit for more information.


As a European citizen, do I qualify for financial assistance?

Go to and follow the links to find out whether you are eligible and how you can go about receiving financial assistance whilst studying in England.

Will my non-EU government support my study at All Nations?

Possibly. All Nations is offering fully accredited study programmes through the Open University and you may qualify for student loans from your home country to assist in these studies. It is worth getting in touch with your government department for education or student loan organisation to find out what opportunities are available.

Are there bursaries available at All Nations?

If you wish to apply for a bursary to contribute towards your fees please contact us. We are only able to consider you for a bursary after you have completed the application process and been offered a place. Amounts granted are normally up to £2000. Successful applicants will:

- be entering into strategic cross-cultural ministry after leaving All Nations.
- be unable to raise the full fees but have usually raised most of the support they require.

Please note that even if you satisfy the above we cannot guarantee an award due to limited funds.

Bursaries are granted for a maximum of 1 year only, but returning students may apply for subsequent years. The College cannot guarantee that bursary applications from returning students will be granted in subsequent years.


To download our bursary criteria click here.

What happens if I withdraw from my course part way through?

If a student withdraws from their course they will normally be required to pay the full fees for the term in which notice is given. If notice is given during the Christmas or Easter holidays, the fees of the following term will be required. Any waiver of these fees (e.g. due to illness) is at the discretion of the College.

Can I work for All Nations to help pay my way?

During vacation periods it may be possible to get paid work at the College by helping with housekeeping or kitchen tasks. However you will need to be eligible for work in the U.K and have a National Insurance Number. Please note that work at the College out of term time is not guaranteed. There are no opportunities to work during term-time, only with rare exceptions and the College discourages students from attempting to take paid work during teaching periods because of the required time commitment to study.

Moving to All Nations with a Family

Full-time study away from home puts a lot of strain on a family and All Nations would prefer spouses and dependent children join you rather than be left behind. 

How do I find a house to rent?

Look at directories such as and for local estate agents and house rental information. The College also manages a number of properties in the area that you may be able to rent. If you are interested in finding out what the College has available, contact us using the link below.

What about council tax?

Full-time students are exempt from paying council tax. However, if your spouse is not a student then they will be eligible to pay. If your spouse is the only adult (age 18+) in the house then they are eligible for a single occupancy discount of 25% of the full rate. Overseas spouses who do not study and are prevented from work or claiming benefits under the terms of your visa are fully exempt from council tax. For further details on how much council tax might cost, please contact the East Herts District Council: (assuming you rent in this area.)

What schools are there local to the college?

Please visit the Hertfordshire education website for information about enrolling your children in a local school:

Where can I take my pre-school children (under 5s)?

Due to unforeseen circumstances, All Nations Christian College is not able to offer nursery provision for children under five years from September 2016. 

Find out about nursery provision available in the local area by clicking here


Latest News

  • Enquirers' Day

    25th January 2019
  • Whitley Lecture 2019

    12th February 2019
  • It's Your Call

    13th February 2019